Job Title Finance
Category Financial Specialists, All Other
VP - Senior Accounting Specialist - London - 21796BR
Moody’s Investors Service - Corporate Finance Group (CFG)
Credit Analysis & Research - Financial Engineering
Regular - Experienced Hire
Moody's (NYSE: MCO) is a global integrated risk assessment firm that empowers organizations to make better decisions. Our data, analytical solutions and insights help decision-makers identify opportunities and manage the risks of doing business with others. We believe that greater transparency, more informed decisions, and fair access to information open the door to shared progress. With over 11,000 employees in more than 40 countries, Moody's combines international presence with local expertise and over a century of experience in financial markets. Learn more at moodys.com .
Moody’s Investors Service is among the world’s most respected and widely utilized sources for credit ratings and research. Our opinions and analysis on a broad range of credit obligors and obligations are valued around the world for their insight and rigor. At MIS, our workplace culture supports our mission to be the Agency of Choice for our customers, employees and future employees. Our Culture focuses on Excellence and embodies behavioral qualities such as Integrity, Responsiveness, Collaboration, Respect and Passion. Our people are our core asset and we look beyond outcomes to ensure that behaviors and interactions matter.
DepartmentThe Accounting Specialist group (currently comprising five accounting specialists worldwide) resides within Moody’s Global Corporate Finance Group and brings to the rating agency’s credit rating process specialized expertise on topics such as accounting, financial reporting and internal controls; and corporate governance. Since its creation in 2002, the Accounting Specialist group has worked alongside Moody’s credit analysts to incorporate issues and complexities related to their areas of expertise more systematically into the credit rating process. The group also publishes research reports on issues within its areas of expertise, conducts training for Moody’s analysts on relevant topics which impact ratings and contributes to various external forums on accounting providing Moody’s view as a key user of financial reporting.
Job DescriptionThis role is to increase recognition of Moody’s value proposition among rated companies, the institutional investor community, intermediaries, and the other external constituents by enhancing the quality of our credit analysis and research through increased awareness and understanding of accounting and financial reporting issues.
- Actively participate in the rating process for individual corporate debt issuers by providing Moody’s lead analysts and rating committees with analysis on accounting and financial reporting practices and implications for ratings.
- Support Moody’s lead analysts in assessing the implications for individual ratings of known accounting issues and complexities.
- Analyse financial reporting practices of identified high-risk/high-profile companies and assess the implications for ratings.
- Lead interactions with senior corporate officers and directors on accounting and financial reporting issues.
- Contribute to Moody’s company-specific credit research:
- Produce timely and relevant research for Moody’s fixed-income investor clients.
- Updates on credit implications of accounting and regulatory developments.
- In-depth comments on broad accounting and financial reporting topics of most interest to fixed-income investors.
- Comments on credit implications of financial reporting practices in specific industries.
- Participate in the development and delivery of training for Moody’s credit analysts.
- 10+ years of professional experience in accounting/auditing/forensic accounting function or with an accounting standard setter.
- Detailed and extensive understanding of International Financial Reporting Standards and current trends in accounting and reporting. Detailed knowledge of US GAAP not required because role involves liaison with Moody’s US GAAP experts based in New York.
- Ability to explain complex accounting issues in an easy-to-understand way.
- Demonstrated capability to write/publish and to present before professional audiences.
- Familiarity with credit analysis not required, but there could be an opportunity over time to move into credit analysis if you demonstrate the aptitude and desire to do so.
Candidates for Moody's Corporation may be asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody’s Policy for Securities Trading and the requirements of the position. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.