Job Title Healthcare
Category Healthcare Support Workers, All Other
Salary 38,694 USD
Job Title: LAS ST1-2 (General Medicine) rotational post
Location: Milton Keynes
Salary: is £37,191 ( plus additional allowance)
Hours: Average:48 hours Pay as per the junior doctors contract
Applications are invited to apply for a LAS ST1-2 post in Medicine at Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. It is envisaged this post would be suitable for a doctor who has completed foundation training or has 1-2 years of postgraduate experience as a doctor and would like the experience of a rotation in the general medical specialties in a busy acute medical hospital. The post would be for 23 months and could be extended subject to mutual agreement.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a dynamic doctor who wishes to develop their skills as a physician and perhaps would like to be supported to study towards MRCP examinations. For most weeks work will be 09:00 to 17:00 hours, Monday to Friday. When doing shift work (2 weeks in 6) the rota has been redesigned to improve the working life of junior doctors and does not allow long stretches of work and allows ample time to recover between shifts.
Milton Keynes University Hospital is the major teaching hospital for Buckingham University medical school. Recently Buckingham University built a state-of-the-art academic centre on the Milton Keynes University Hospital site.
The job will involve:
• A 6 week repeating work cycle consisting of:
• 4 weeks of ward work (09-17:00) on a general medical ward without any out of hours work,
• 2 weeks of shift work consisting of day and night shifts approximately 9 shifts in 14 days.
• Opportunity to rotate through a variety of medical specialities including Acute medicine, General medicine, elderly care, cardiology, respiratory, gastroenterology, haematology, diabetes and endocrinology.
• Opportunities to do research, audit or quality improvement projects.
• Yearly Appraisal with a nominated consultant and access to appraisal software.
• Opportunity to deliver undergraduate teaching to Oxford and university of Buckingham Students.
• A Clinical / Educational Supervisor for career development.
• Access to eportfolio to record competencies and document clinical experience.
• Opportunity to work on the hospital bank to earn extra money doing extra shifts additional to contract if desired.
• Weekly in house teaching sessions and dedicated MRCP PACES teaching with RCP examiners.
We are a dynamic and supportive department and the posts offer broad and deep clinical exposure. The appointee will have excellent opportunity to gain experience in general and specialty medicine. Each specialty has access to state of the art care pathways, diagnostics and therapeutics.
There will be many opportunities for professional development and you will be allocated a clinical supervisor to help with a personal development portfolio. Applicants will also be supported in applying for National Training Numbers (NTN’s).
Along with specialty meetings, there are also regular departmental meetings, including a weekly grand round and regular audit and clinical governance sessions. Participation in these will be encouraged. There will be opportunities to work on audit and quality improvement projects.
A study leave budget of £600 per year and allowance of 10 days will be available. An annual leave allowance of 27 days is given with compensatory rest days for on calls.
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, in partnership with the University of Buckingham, is a University Teaching Hospital. This allows us to attract, train and retain the best doctors and contribute towards the financial stability of the organisation.
We believe the continued growth of the hospital will allow us to expand and improve our services to offer the very best care to the people of Milton Keynes, and beyond.
Located just 50 miles north of London (35 minutes from London Euston station), Milton Keynes has excellent access to the capital whilst being centrally located for Oxford and Cambridge and having ease of access to the north. Lying in attractive countryside, Milton Keynes offers first class facilities for sport, theatre, music, shopping and dining.