Job Title Education
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a dynamic, growing business unit within Amazon.com. Since early 2006, AWS has provided companies of all sizes with an infrastructure platform in the cloud. Using AWS, companies can requisition compute power, storage, and other services – gaining access to a global computing infrastructure that is the backbone of Amazon.com’s multi-billion-dollar retail business. Today, AWS provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers millions of active monthly customers from start-ups to multi-national corporations to governments.
Innovation is in our DNA. Our approach to product development and delivery is fundamentally different than other technology companies, which has allowed us to ensure that our customers have the broadest, deepest, and most secure platform to build transformational applications and services since 2006.
This new role is responsible for enabling and growing our Higher Education/Research or EdTech/Publisher customer base. The leader crafts all-up industry strategy, creates go-to-market to drive customer adoption, and defines solutions and field enablement.
Key Strategic Objectives
We’re looking for an accomplished strategy & business development leader deeply familiar with education solutions and routes to market, who has overachieved throughout their career and built strong, deep relationships with education customers, organizations, and education technology providers across multiple countries, timezones, and languages. The leader will drive sub-segment go-to-market across the International Education business, industry knowledge and strategy for and on behalf of the sales and marketing teams, and the overall Education market offerings through a set of matrix relationships with sales, marketing and product development. Responsibilities include:
· Work backwards from customers to evangelize industry trends and sub-segment requirements for the application of cloud computing, including data and analytics solutions, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, research, teaching, learning & assessment
· Define and execute a strategy for acquiring and managing education customers globally
· Identify and develop repeatable plays and solutions that translate AWS Services into education solutions
· Drive, cultivate, and mine education AWS customer use cases for marketing artifacts and references to accelerate market segment adoption of cloud computing
· Develop, manage, and deliver education programs
· Execute an education community strategy inclusive of diverse personas to drive adoption of AWS and building in general
· Collaborate with key internal stakeholders across Amazon (e.g. Books, Amazon Devices, Amazon Business, Alexa for Education, Student Prime, China, marketing, PR, legal, support, tax, finance, etc. to ensure successful education customer relationships
· Define, implement and operationalize the WWPS education plays and solutions and supporting mechanisms
The successful candidate will be a broad leader – part market maker, part operator, and part general manager. The leader will build a strategy focused on winning new customer segments and growing existing customer segments for the long term. Foundational to this is a deep understanding of the mission of education institutions and the business problems they are trying to solve. As a self-starter willing to operate in a highly matrixed cross-geo structure, you should also have experience in market development of cloud infrastructure and/or enterprise education applications. The right candidate with have excellent leadership skills with the ability to execute on key business initiatives in a broad geography. The role will require working with the education community to help secure lighthouse customers, drive top-line revenue for new services, and develop customer relationships at scale. This is an exciting opportunity to own the AWS WWPS education go-to-market definition and execution of AWS’s strategy for education. Your responsibilities will include defining strategic workloads to drive the necessary business and technical relationships with customers and partners. You will also develop mechanisms to establish new and repeatable business in target market segments and enable the field organization to drive the day-to-day interactions that identify prospects for long-term business opportunities. You will work very closely with the Sales, Partner, Product Management, Legal, Marketing and Professional Services teams to identify and prioritize areas of focus and opportunity, as well as drive adoption and market penetration within global markets. As the voice of the customer, you'll work closely with Sales, APN and product teams to help them evolve the products and address issues, concerns, and requests from the field.
· Extensive experience in strategy, business development, and/or product management roles in higher education and/or infrastructure and cloud technology
· Internationally located and experienced, proven people manager, experience leading large, diverse matrix teams
· Scale go-to-market experience working with new product/service development teams and their outbound functions
· Experience working with senior stakeholders and executive teams
· Track record of building relationships with senior partner and customer executives (e.g. CEO, COO, CIO, CTO, CMO), building close relationships, and closing large revenue accounts
• Experience in identifying public sector program needs and developing comprehensive solutions
• Strong understanding on public sector technical needs and implementation approaches
• Understanding of mission-enabling applications
• Basic understanding of cloud computing landscape in general and AWS services in particular
• Master’s degree in business management or related field with deep experience of of operations, field sales training, marketing or sales enablement experience with increasing influence and responsibility.
• Strategic thinker that can take broad visions and concepts and develop structured plans, actions and measureable metrics to execute those plans and deliver benefits
• Large scale project management experience including the formulation and implementation of a business development strategy
• Effective verbal and written communicator
• Proficient in more than one relevant language